Sep 29, 2011

Boot Camp by Nature

 

Right before we left for Florida, Tropical Storm Lee dumped a huge amount of rain and wind on poor Birmingham. I was getting ready to actually go to boot camp (in a hurricane. On Labor Day. I’m committed.) when I hear a loud crack and then a crash.

This is what we found in the backyard:

DSCN2373

A 100+ yo oak tree just fell over. This picture doesn’t really show the scale of how big this tree was. Thankfully, it fell on other extremely old trees and they protected the house.

 

Since we are not crazy, we did not try to pull it down ourselves. But my dad we did cut it up and haul it out of the middle of the yard.

My boot camp for the week consisted of wheelbarrowing logs:

DSC_0514

yes, I made M take pictures of me working for the blog. I have no shame.

Stacking logs

DSC_0519

DSC_0531

My 65 yo dad, s/p CABG, put us all to shame. I think I split like 4 logs. It took 50 mins and almost killed me. It looks like more fun than it actually is.

Log rolling. AKA: how on earth is this thing so heavy and difficult to roll?

DSC_0541

(these might be the most flattering pictures of myself I’ve ever seen, let alone posted.)

It was a busy few days! I got all my exercise courtesy of yard work, which I can’t really recommend. It is the opposite of fun.

Have you done any alternative exercise lately? Live near me and want to come help? I tried to convince Mr. Trainer to hold boot camp in my yard, but he said no. Come on! Giant logs>kettlebells, right?

2 comments:

Ed said...

Sweet! I wish we had more trees in my area cause I would love to cut wood as an alternative work out!

Unknown said...

Very good way to burn down some fat..

Buy Forzest online