Jan 25, 2011

I'm so Fancy

Recruiters should totally try to buy our affections through steak, because it works. The dinner last night actually turned out to be pretty fun-it was a big group of people from our home state who all live here. The head recruiter was from my hometown! Older than I am, but he went to the same elementary, jr. high, and high school I did. It did make me homesick, though.
The dinner itself was amazing. Started with a great salad-Honey Roasted Pears, Dried Cranberries, Watercress, Shaved Onions, Sugared Walnuts, Stilton Cheese in a Shallot Rasberry Balsamic Vinaigrette. I love salads that are mostly fruit.

I had the filet-top right (not my pictures). It was so, so good. Buttermilk Mashed Yukon Gold Potatoes, Cabernet Smoked Onions and Black Pepper Demi-Glace. I could've eaten two it was so good. Dessert was either peanut butter pie (which I made my husband order so I could taste!) or butterscotch creme brulee. I never order or eat creme brulee, but this one was unbelievably good. All of the residents were joking around about only getting to eat at restaurants like this when work pays for it.

Oh dear. I just looked at the brunch menu and now must have this: Banana Foster Shortstack-Buttermilk Pancakes layered with Roasted Bananas in a Traditional Foster's Sauce with Crumbled Pralines, Onion Braised Andouille & Chantilly Cream. How amazing does that sound? It would be worth the 847 miles I would have to run to work it off. I really am promoting health, wellness, and proper nutrition here aren't I?


It actually ended up being really fun. Our table had an interesting conversation about obesity/childhood health/public policy. We had 3 M.D.s, one R.D. (me), one pharmacist, and one guy with a MBA/MPA so it was a good conversation. My thoughts on public health and nutrition have really changed since moving here and actually being in situations rather than just reading about them or theorizing...but that is maybe a post for another day!

No comments: